Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
The 2030 Agenda and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide a cross-cutting vision which highlights the importance of taking action on the determinants of population health. More specifically, SDG 3 promotes a comprehensive approach to health.
This goal must “Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages”, and makes health “a precondition for, an outcome of, and an indicator of all dimensions of sustainable development”. To achieve SDG 3, the fight against poverty (SDG 1); malnutrition (SDG 2); gender-related violence (SDG 5); providing access to drinking water and sanitation and hygiene systems (SDG 6); the fight against indoor air pollution (SDG 7); the promotion of inclusive and sustainable growth and access to decent work (SDG 8); the fight against natural disasters and air pollution (SDG 11); against climate change and its impacts (SDG 13) and violence (SDG 16) are factors and determinants of health on which the various sectors and actors must act together, while revitalizing partnerships (SDG 17).
The Sustainable Development Goals have set an ambitious target of ending the epidemics of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and other communicable diseases and effectively combatting non-communicable diseases by 2030. The target is to achieve universal health coverage, with access to safe and effective medicines and vaccines for all. To this end, support for research and development of vaccines is essential, as is access to affordable medicines. They are working to improve international health security and strengthen health human resources.
1 000 000 000
euros paid to UNITAID since 2006
- The MEAE contributes to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria: €1.08 billion from 2017 to 2019, making France the Fund’s largest European contributor and second largest global contributor
- The contribution to Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, is €465 million between 2016 and 2020
- Since 2011, €500 million contributed to sexual, reproductive, maternal, child and teen healthcare services
Examples of projects (in French)
- Expertise France - Partnership to improve palliative care in Kenya and Tanzania 30 June 2016
- AFD - Goal to reduce maternal and child mortality rates in Togo March 2016
- Stratégie de la France en santé mondiale 2017- 2021 (in French)
- France’s external action on issues of population and sexual and reproductive health and rights 2016-2020 (October 2016)
Publications by implementing agencies
- SDG 3 on the UN website
- SDG 3 on the website of the World Health Organization
- Fonds Français Muskoka (in French)
Updated: May 2017