At the Franco-German Council of Ministers in April 2016, Germany and France announced the launch of an annual international Franco-German Prize for Human Rights and the Rule of Law.
In 2017, the prize is being awarded for the second time to committed human rights defenders from around the world who have done outstanding work in their respective countries to uphold human rights and the rule of law. All prize winners will receive a diploma and a medal designed by artist Anna Martha Napp that was chosen by a Franco-German jury. The medal symbolises their active commitment to the defence of human rights.
Here is a list of the 15 prize winners:
- M. Adilur Rahman Kahn (Bangladesh) ;
- M. Nounongnon Balbylas Gbaguidi (Bénin) ;
- Mme Gracia Violeta Ross Quiroga (Bolivie) ;
- Mme Ragia Omran (Egypte) ;
- M. César Ricaurte (Equateur) ;
- M. Abdullah Al Khonaini (Koweit) ;
- M. Bekim Asani (Macédoine) ;
- Mme Mandira Sharma (Népal) ;
- Mme Grace Osakue (Nigéria) ;
- Mme Rosemarie Trajano (Philippines) ;
- Mme Elena Milashina (Russie) ;
- Mme Shreen Abdul Saroor (Sri Lanka) ;
- M. Kerem Altiparmak (Turquie) ;
- M. Pavlo Lysianskyi (Ukraine) ;
- Mme Liliana Ortega Mendoza (Venezuela).