Please check the page after this date for the details.
In France, the COVID certificate (passe sanitaire) is issued to people who have tested negative or who have been fully vaccinated with one of the vaccines recognized by the European Medicines Agency or one of the equivalents to these vaccines.
In order to facilitate the stay in France of non-EU tourists and students, 2 specific systems have been put in place to issue a QR code valid as a COVID certificate in France.
These 2 systems are open to non-European foreign nationals who are tourists and students in French higher education establishments, respectively.
A temporary QR code valid 72 hours can also be generated by a healthcare professional following a negative RT-PCR or antigen test (see below).
Updated: 8 November 2021
If you have been vaccinated in one of the following countries – European Union Member States, Albania, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Holy See, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Morocco, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine or the United Kingdom (England and Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland) – your country issues an EU Digital COVID Certificate which is accepted in France, or, in the case of the United Kingdom, a digital format also accepted in France. In that case, you do not need to convert your COVID certificate.
The list of countries for which this service is available is updated constantly. For more information on the EU Digital COVID Certificate, visit the European Commission’s page on the subject.
You can apply for a COVID vaccine certificate of equivalence if you meet the following conditions:
- If you have not been vaccinated in a European Union Member State, Albania, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Holy See, Iceland, Israel, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Morocco, North Macedonia, Norway, Panama, San Marino, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine or the United Kingdom (England and Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland), these countries issue EU Digital COVID Certificates or an equivalent that are accepted by France;
- If you are aged 12 years and 2 months or more as of 1 October 2021. Below that age, no COVID certificate is required;
- If you have been vaccinated with a vaccine which is accepted by the European Medicines Agency or an equivalent for over:
- 4 weeks if you received a single-dose injection (Johnson&Johnson);
- 7 days after the second injection for two-dose vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca);
- 7 days after the injection if you have recovered from COVID-19 (in this case, only one vaccine dose is necessary);
- 7 days after a booster with a dose of an mRNA vaccine (Moderna or Pfizer) after two doses of a vaccine on the WHO Emergency Use Listing (Sinovac/Coronavac or Sinopharm/BBIB-PVeroCells).
Applications for a COVID certificate are made:
• Directly online, for foreign students;
• In pharmacies in France, for foreign nationals who are not students. They should present their passport and the paper version of the original vaccination certificate in a pharmacy offering the service (a list is available on the Ministry for Solidarity and Health website).
I have not received a QR code for the vaccine certificate of equivalence and I need it to travel within France or to visit certain locations (museums, entertainment venues, restaurants, etc.), what can I do?
A temporary QR code valid 72 hours can also be generated by a healthcare professional following a negative RT-PCR or antigen test.
All RT-PCR and antigen tests generate proof of testing as soon as the result has been entered by the healthcare professional, which can be immediately printed out and which is also available to the tested person by email and SMS for download.
In France, foreign nationals must pay for tests, and they are available from many healthcare professionals (labs, pharmacies, etc.) and in designated areas. The results of antigen tests are generally available within 15-20 minutes.
Will France recognize more vaccines?
The list of vaccines recognized by the European Medicines Agency is subject to change: new marketing authorizations may be granted based on the opinion of the EMA, and new equivalences may be recognized by the French National Agency for Medicines and Health Products Safety (ANSM). You should regularly check for updates to the list.
Will the COVID certificate be recognized in other European countries?
Yes. It is generated in digital DCC format which is recognized throughout the EU and in countries with agreements on mutual recognition with the EU. See the list of countries here.
I am not vaccinated. Can you generate a French QR code based on my certificate of recovery?
No. The system is designed to recognize vaccines administered abroad. It cannot therefore process certificates of recovery.
I have a question which is not answered here. Who can I ask?
If you cannot find the answer to your question here, you can write to us at help.covid-pass at diplomatie.gouv.fr