Official visits to Tanzania:
- March 2014: Minister of Foreign Trade
- April 2015: Minister of State for Development and Francophonie
- August 2016: Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Development
Visits to France of Tanzanian officials
- January 2013: Official visit of President Jakaya Kikwete
- December 2013: Participation of President Kikwete in the Élysée Summit for Peace and Security in Africa
- January 2015: Meeting of President Kikwete with the President of the French Republic
- March 2015: Visits of Minister of Transport and Minister of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries for the First France-Tanzania Business Forum
Despite a recent increase in activity, France remains a modest trading partner of Tanzania. Exports are on an upward trend but remain volatile: after reaching €160 million in 2015, French exports fell to €127 million in 2016. Almost two thirds of these exports are pharmaceuticals.
Agricultural, silvicultural, fishery and aquaculture products account for half of French imports from Tanzania, followed by various manufactured goods.
French investment in Tanzania also remains modest. French FDI stock was estimated at €23.6 million in 2015 and the 40 or so French companies in the country are mainly active in the energy, logistics, transport and construction sectors.
The Agence Française de Développement has been increasing its commitments in Tanzania at a fast pace since 2010 (totalling €390.6 million or €50 million a year), mainly in the sectors of water and energy, transport infrastructure, urban development and private sector support.
Updated: 15 January 2018