The visit of the French President to Budapest in September 2007 established the basis for a Strategic Partnership, signed in May 2008 during a visit to Paris by the Hungarian Prime Minister, Mr Ferenc Gyurcsány.
- The President of the Republic of Hungary met the French President on the sidelines of the “One Planet Summit” in Paris on 12 December 2017.
- The Hungarian State Secretary for EU Affairs, Mr Szabolcs Takács, travelled to France on 12 December 2017.
- The Hungarian Minister of Agriculture, Sándor Fazekas, came to France on 30 November 2017.
- The French Minister for European Affairs, Nathalie Loiseau, went to Hungary on 12-13 October 2017.
- The Hungarian State Secretary for EU Affairs, Mr Szabolcs Takács, travelled to France on 14 September 2017.
- French Minister of Sport, Laura Flessel, travelled to Budapest on 29-30 July 2017 for the close of the 2017 World Aquatics Championships.
- The Minister of State for European Affairs, Harlem Désir, visited Hungary on 7 November 2016 to attend celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of the Hungarian Revolution of 1956.
France is the fourth-largest investor in Hungary (€2.7 billion) with more than 350 companies employing almost 43,000 people there. Five French companies are amongst the leading 25 foreign investors in Hungary: Groupama, EDF, Sanofi, Auchan and GDF Suez. Trade volumes stood at €7.3 billion in 2016, with a trade deficit of €937 million).
Cultural, scientific and technical cooperation
The French cultural network in Hungary is made up of the Institut Français in Budapest, five Alliance Française branches in the Debrecen, Győr, Miskolc, Pécs and Szeged regions, and the Gustave Eiffel lycée in Budapest (715 students in 2016). Linguistic cooperation is also based on the ten French bilingual sections in Hungary, nine of which have the “FrancEducation” label. The French-language university centre (CUF) at the University of Szeged coordinates various French-language university courses and offers a double Master’s degree with the Institut d’études politiques (IEP) in Lille. Hungary has been an observer member of the International Organisation of La Francophonie (OIF) since 2004.
French Ambassador in Budapest: Mr Éric Fournier (since September 2015).
Hungarian Ambassador in Paris: Mr György Károlyi (since January 2015).
Chair of the France-Hungary Friendship Group of the French National Assembly: Mr Michel Zumkeller.
Chair of the France-Hungary Friendship Group of the French Senate: Mr Claude Kern.
Updated: 14 December 2017