ECOWAS – Election of the Ghanaian chair (29.03.14)
France congratulates President John Dramani Mahama on his election as chair of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
Presidency of the African Union in 2014 (30.01.14)
France warmly congratulates Mauritanian President, Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz, on his election as chairman of the African Union in 2014. It expresses its full trust in the new chairman and wishes him every success in carrying out his mandate.
African Union - Presentation of border archives (29.11.13)
These documents concern 45 treaties and maps of countries in West, North and East Africa during the period of 1845-1956.
Election of Hailemariam Desalegn as chairman of the African Union (28.01.13)
France welcomes the election of Ethiopian Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn as chairman of the African Union. It commends the exemplary work of the outgoing presidency held by Benin, notably with respect to Mali, for which it encouraged the mobilization of the African and international community.
Appointment of Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma as chairperson of the African Union Commission (16.10.12)
This is the first time a woman holds this prestigious office. France will support Ms. Dlamini-Zuma in her efforts to achieve the continent’s objectives regarding peace and development.
Entry into force of the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance (15.02.12)
This charter enshrines the commitment of the States Parties to promoting democracy, the rule of law and human rights.
France welcomes this major step forward which confirms the universality of human rights and the aspiration for democracy.
African Union (Q&A - Excerpt from the daily press briefing - 31.01.12)
We’re following with the utmost attention the developments regarding the African Union. At its most recent summit, the African Union elected a new Chairman, which we welcomed yesterday. We understand that the current Commission has been provisionally extended and that another vote should take place in a few months.
Election of President Boni Yayi as Chairman of the African Union (30.01.12)
France welcomes the election of the President of the Republic of Benin, Thomas Boni Yayi, as Chairman of the African Union. It notes that, by electing the President of Benin to this post, the African Union has chosen a leader whose country has engaged in an exemplary democratic process in recent years.
- More information...
- A changing partnership
- African continent topping the international agenda
- "Africanisation" of peacekeeping in Africa
- Crises and conflicts
- AU and crisis management: an improving mechanism
- African balance-sheet: shortcomings in economic performance
- More aid, debt relief - focus of French cooperation
- Priority action sectors
- Reform of France's cooperation policy
- Africa: the Paris-London-Brussels axis is doing well
- African youth: a huge potential between instability and uncertainty
- Africa - land of migrations
- Mali, the host country : a tested model
- African culture(s): a different image of the continent
- The 22 conferences of heads of state from France and Africa
- The players in France's cooperation