The Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs works to represent, defend and promote the interests of France and French nationals in all areas in foreign countries and international organizations.
- To achieve peace, security and respect for human rights
- To promote French businesses abroad in foreign markets and France’s appeal abroad
- To help organize globalization that ensures balanced and sustainable development in the world
- To ensure the presence of France’s ideas, language and culture while advocating cultural diversity
- To manage security and administrative services for French nationals abroad
It is represented by the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs and the Minister of State for European Affairs, attached to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, who share France’s position on the main European issues.
Find out more about France and Europe
The Ministry is supported by a large network of embassies and consulates abroad, which work in constant collaboration with the central administration in Paris, La Courneuve and Nantes. France is the third most represented country in the world, after China and the United States.
Some emblematic examples of its use:
• €300 million for peacekeeping operations
• €391 million for French nationals abroad and consular affairs
• €700 million for some 80 international organizations, agreements and programmes
• €374 million for the European Development Fund
Updated: October 2023