The French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (MEAE) determines and implements France’s foreign policy.
Its priorities are to:
- take action in the world for peace, security and human rights;
- promote French businesses abroad in foreign markets and France’s attractiveness abroad;
- help organize globalization which ensures balanced and sustainable development in the world;
- ensure the presence of France’s ideas, language and culture while advocating cultural diversity;
- provide security and administrative services for French nationals abroad.
Structured networks abroad
The Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs is supported by an extensive international network of embassies and consulates, which work in constant collaboration with the central administration in Paris and Nantes.
France ranks third in the world in terms of its representation and activity abroad.
- 160 embassies serving bilateral relations
- 120 consular sections
- 16 permanent representations to multilateral bodies
- 89 consulates general and consulates
- 13,693 officials, 5,759 of whom are tenured
Updated: April 2018