Human rights are among the founding values of the French Republic and lie at the heart of its foreign policy. France is presenting its candidacy to the Human Rights Council with a view to promoting the highest standards of human rights protection.
France undertakes to…
- Ensure the promotion and protection of all human rights and to play a key role in combating all forms of discrimination.
- Support the gradual realization of the right to education, health, food and water and sanitation, and to promote the Guiding Principles on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights.
- Strengthen international mobilization for respect of women’s rights and the elimination of all forms of discrimination and violence against women, and ensure the effective implementation of the resolutions on
“Women, Peace and Security”.
- Pursue its commitment to the rights of the child and to combat the use of children in armed conflict.
- Promote freedom of opinion and expression and support action by human rights defenders and civil
society, particularly as part of peaceful demonstrations.
- Encourage States to combat arbitrary detention, torture and enforced disappearance, and continue to work towards the universal ratification of the International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance.
- Step up the fight against impunity and promote the right to truth and justice, particularly by supporting international criminal justice.
- Promote the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights, and support their implementation.
- Maintain an active and constructive participation in all bodies and mechanisms for promoting and protecting human rights, including special procedures, treaty bodies, and mechanisms for monitoring and investigating human rights violations worldwide.