Laurent Fabius, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Development, will participate in the EU Foreign Affairs Council meeting on June 22. The work will focus on the following issues:
- Libya and migration: The ministers will discuss EU action to address the influx of migrants. They will vote on the proposal to launch the maritime operation EUNAVFOR Med, aimed at combating the network of human traffickers in the Mediterranean;
- The Middle East peace process: following Laurent Fabius’s visit to the region, the ministers will take stock of possible EU support for relaunching the negotiations;
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: the discussions will focus on how the EU can help reduce tensions;
- Asia: The strengthening of relations between the EU and Asia will be discussed;
- Energy policy: discussions will focus on the EU’s external action in this area.
On the sidelines of this meeting, the ministers will discuss with Ban Ki-moon the strengthening of coordination between the EU and the UN.