European Union – Jean-Yves Le Drian attending Foreign Affairs Council (Luxembourg, 16 April 2018)
Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs Jean-Yves Le Drian will be attending the Foreign Affairs Council in Luxembourg on April 16.
Discussions will deal with:
- Syria: the ministers will review the latest developments and will consider the responsibility of the regime and its backers for the continuing violence, especially following the latest use of chemical weapons. Conclusions will be adopted to reaffirm Europe’s commitment to a political solution. The ministers will also express their wish that the Brussels II conference to be held at the end of the month will provide responses to humanitarian needs and support to countries welcoming Syrian refugees.
- Iran: Mr. Le Drian will underscore the need to preserve the Vienna Agreement and a policy of dialogue and firmness toward the Iranian ballistic missile program and the destabilizing role of Tehran in the region.
- Russia: the ministers will emphasize the importance of maintaining European unity in relations with Russia.
- Western Balkans: The ministers will prepare for the EU-Balkan summit, which will be held in Sofia on May 17 and which will adopt concrete measures to support the reforms necessary for European rapprochement.
- Financial instruments for external action: as preparatory work begins on the next multiannual financial framework, the ministers will work on the future architecture of external action instruments.
Conclusions will also be adopted on South Sudan and cybersecurity.