Clément Beaune, Minister of State for European Affairs, attached to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, will take part in the informal video conference of European affairs ministers tomorrow.
The discussions will focus on the following points:
- Covid-19: The ministers will discuss progress in the vaccination campaign, the agreement reached this week by the Council on the Digital Green Certificate and the need for member states to coordinate on movement restrictions following the emergence of new variants.
- Conference on the Future of Europe: The ministers will discuss ways to involve citizens in this major European exercise as well as the launch of the conference in Strasbourg on May 9.
- Relations between the EU and the United Kingdom: The ministers will take stock of recent developments regarding this matter, which will provide an opportunity to renew France’s call for full compliance with the Northern Ireland Protocol.
- Rule of law: Following the publication of the European Commission’s annual report on the rule of law in the EU, the ministers will continue their discussions on the rule of law situation in several countries. They will discuss the cases of Germany, Ireland, Greece, Spain and France. The minister of state will present the most recent changes made by France with respect to its judicial system, the fight against corruption, media pluralism and the balance of power.
- Enlargement, stabilization and association processes: The Portuguese presidency will report on the status of negotiations on issues relating to enlargement and the stabilization and association process.