Clément Beaune, Minister of State for European Affairs, attached to the Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, is taking part in the General Affairs Council today.
The following points will be discussed during this General Affairs Council meeting:
- Covid-19: The ministers will establish the principles of the coordination at the EU’s external borders, with a view toward combatting the variants and potentially relaxing restrictions, depending on vaccination progress.
- Preparations for the extraordinary European Council meeting on May 25: The ministers will discuss the four issues on the agenda of the next European Council, namely Covid-19-related health management, climate issues, relations with Russia and the relationship with the United Kingdom.
- Conference on the Future of Europe: The Portuguese presidency will review the official launch of the conference on May 9 in Strasbourg in the presence of President Macron, following the launch of the dedicated digital platform which is already extremely popular (almost 25,000 visitors a day and more than 17,000 contributions).
- Enlargement and the Stabilisation and Association Process: in line with the conclusions of March 25, 2020, the Portuguese Presidency and the Commission will review the situations of Albania and North Macedonia.
- Relations between the EU and Switzerland: the Commission will present the status of negotiations on the framework agreement between the Swiss Confederation and the EU.