Jean-Yves Le Drian, Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs, is visiting Jordan from August 1 to 2. He will meet with Prime Minister of Jordan Omar Razzaz, as well as with his counterpart, Ayman Safadi. The minister will also be received in audience by King Abdullah II on August 2nd.
1) Jean-Yves Le Drian will discuss the main regional crises with the Prime Minister of Jordan Omar Razzaz, as well as with his counterpart, Ayman Safadi:
- Syria: Jean-Yves Le Drian will discuss the most recent developments on the ground, especially in the south-western part of the country, as well as ways to continue international mobilization in support of a political solution;
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict: France will reaffirm its support for the two-state solution. Jean-Yves Le Drian will notably discuss the situation in Gaza and the serious humanitarian crisis in this territory. In order to provide support and respond to the crisis, France has delivered humanitarian assistance to the Jordanian army’s Royal Medical Services for the Jordanian military field hospital in Gaza.
2) Our strategic partnership with Jordan will also be discussed in-depth. Jean-Yves Le Drian will in particular express support for the efforts of the Jordanian government with respect to economic reforms and the hosting of Syrian refugees on its soil.
3) France will continue to mobilize its efforts, as announced at the Brussels II conference on April 25, with a commitment of more than €1 billion for the period 2018-2020 in support of Syria and the countries hosting Syrian refugees. It has already provided €600 million in loans and grants since 2016 to support Jordan.
Jean-Yves Le Drian will travel to Azraq Syrian refugee camp, where he will visit the UN Women’s Oasis for Women and Girls project. France is one of the main contributors (€1.1 million in 2017-2018) to this project, which provides family services and psychosocial support to refugee women and aims to strengthen their financial and professional independence through training and an employment program in the camp.
4) During his visit, Jean-Yves Le Drian will also meet with representatives of Jordanian civil society to discuss women’s rights.