In line with the decisions made by the French President at the G7 Summit, France is committed to fighting fires in the Amazon. France’s actions combine public resources and assistance provided by the private sector, particularly the LVMH Group and the Airbus Foundation.
The Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (Crisis and Support Centre) and the Ministry of the Interior (Civil Security) have pooled their human, budgetary and logistical resources in order to provide operational assistance to Bolivia, at its request:
- An aircraft provided by Airbus took off today, Saturday, 7 September 2019, from Vatry airport carrying a detachment of 38 Civil Security military rescue workers, accompanied by the French Ambassador to Bolivia, Mr Denis Gaillard. The detachment’s mission will be to help fight fires in the Santa Cruz region in coordination with the Bolivian authorities. This aircraft is also transporting the equipment needed by the Civil Security detachment to carry out its work, as well as a donation of two tonnes of equipment to help Bolivia fight fires, taken from French Civil Security resources and financed by the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs.
- Four Civil Security military rescue drone operators and three drones will also leave for Bolivia today in order to carry out reconnaissance missions and locate fires, along with an aerial investigation expert.
- A Civil Security reconnaissance and evaluation mission, comprised of six experts, was deployed to Bolivia on 4 September 2019. Its purpose is to work with Bolivian authorities to support firefighting efforts.
- In addition, the Ministry of the Interior has sent three specialists as part of a European civil protection team, with the mission of coordinating teams in the field.
- Lastly, the Crisis and Support Centre of the Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs is coordinating assistance provided by the private sector: firefighting helicopter flight hours in Bolivia financed by the Airbus Foundation (in action since 29 August) and financial support for emergency assistance to the Amazon by the LVMH Group.
France remains committed to fighting fires in the Amazon in coordination with its partners.