As its name indicates, this is the room into which foreign ministers who are to be received by the Minister are ushered while waiting to enter his/her office.
The original painting of a sky with hazy clouds by Nolau and Rubé has now disappeared. The cove is decorated with garlands and children bearing eight cartouches depicting bouquets of flowers.
The four overdoors executed by Vauchelet, depict the Arts and Sciences. The cartouches around these paintings are, like those in the Salon du Congrès, by the Huber brothers. They are identical to those carved earlier by Liénard for the Salon de l’Horloge. At the top, you will notice a woman’s head surmounted by a shell and on each side are two volutes decorated with the profile of a man and a woman. Garlands of fruit meet under the oval of the cartouche.
On the mantelpiece is a clock by Victor Paillard representing Poetry and Music, with matching candelabra. The chandelier, also by Paillard, is in the Renaissance style.
The Congress of Paris of 1856, the first international conference to take place in the new premises, was held in this room.