United Nations – 71st session of the General Assembly - Jean-Marc Ayrault’s participation in the ministerial week (New York, September 18-25, 2016)
The French delegation will be led by President Hollande. Jean-Marc Ayrault will be accompanied by André Vallini, Minister of State for Development and Francophonie.
During the week, he will take part in numerous multilateral meetings and will hold bilateral meetings with several of his counterparts:
1) The work will focus on the international response to the crises.
- Syria: Jean-Marc Ayrault will take part in the high-level meeting of the Security Council on September 21. He has also taken the initiative to organize a ministerial meeting of the countries that support the peace effort on September 19, ahead of a meeting of the International Syria Support Group on September 20. The goal will be to make progress with respect to the cessation of hostilities, access to humanitarian assistance by the populations, the political transition, to reaffirm the fight against impunity and to put an end to the use of chemical weapons in Syria;
- Middle East peace initiative: The ministerial week will provide an opportunity to continue to mobilize our partners. Jean-Marc Ayrault will open the follow-up meeting to the Paris conference in June on the Middle East peace process and will take part in several high-level events on this issue;
- Libya: The minister will take part in a meeting on September 22 organized by the United States and Italy aimed at reaffirming the international community’s support for Prime Minister Fayez Serraj’s Government of National Accord;
- Africa: Jean-Marc Ayrault will take part in a meeting on Mali attended by President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, and a meeting on the same day on the Central African Republic attended by President Faustin-Archange Touadéra.
2) The minister will attend the summit on the refugee and migrant crisis organized by President of the UN General Assembly Peter Thomson, and will accompany President Hollande to the Leaders’ Summit on the Global Refugee Crisis organized by President Obama on September 20.
3) A renewed appeal for states to ratify the Paris Climate Agreement will be launched on September 21 during an event hosted by Ban Ki-moon in order to achieve the sustainable development goals and accelerate the fight against climate disruption. A meeting on the topic of renewable energy in Africa will also take place on September 20.
4) The minister will co-chair, together with his Tunisian and Qatari counterparts, a meeting on the reforms and investment opportunities in Tunisia on September 22.
5) A year after the signing of the Iranian nuclear deal, Jean-Marc Ayrault will take part in a follow-up meeting on the implementation of the deal with our partners in the “E3/UE+3” group and Iran on September 22.
During his visit, Jean-Marc Ayrault will meet with numerous civil society actors. He will visit the start-up Datadog, founded by French citizens, on September 23 and will meet with several NGOs to discuss human rights.
The minister will deliver a speech to students at Columbia University on September 22. He will visit the September 11 Memorial on September 18. He will take part in a meeting on the “Fieldwork: Marfa” project which focuses on French-American cooperation in the cultural and artistic spheres.
- Permanent Mission of France to the United Nations
- Guide to the United Nations
- Download the guide to the United Nations
- Current United Nations peacekeeping operations
- Main United Nations sites
- The United Nations in films
- Useful links
- The World Bank