Strengthening France’s attractiveness and outreach
France is the world’s top tourist destination (with 84.7 million foreign tourists in 2013) and tourism is a key sector of its economy, accounting for more than 7% of GDP and two million direct and indirect jobs. The French Foreign Minister has set the next target at 100 million foreign tourists a year by 2020.
France ranks third in terms of tourism-related revenue, totalling over €42 billion a year. Strengthening and expanding the tourism offer to increase revenue is therefore a major issue.
The tourism sector also needs to adapt to rise to the competition of other countries and benefit from the growth in global tourist flows. These are set to double in 20 years, from 980 million to 1.8 billion international tourists a year in 2030.
In this context, the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development is seeking to strengthen France’s attractiveness and outreach.
- Official website for tourism in France (Atout France)
- Tourism Quality, Directorate General for Enterprise
- Website of the French Government
Updated: October 2014
In this section
- 30 very concrete decisions for global tourism French leader
- Five Centres of Excellence to renew France’s tourist image
- The National Conference on Tourism
- The Tourism Promotion Council : six chosen areas of action