Two reports on cruise tourism and the French overseas territories will be presented at the meeting. The rapporteurs note that these segments of the tourism industry have not yet found the strategic place they deserve in terms of the attractiveness of France.» Read more ...
Strengthening France’s attractiveness and outreach
France is the world’s top tourist destination (with 84.7 million foreign tourists in 2013) and tourism is a key sector of its economy, accounting for more than 7% of GDP and two million direct and indirect jobs. The French Foreign Minister has set the next target at 100 million foreign tourists a year by 2020.
France ranks third in terms of tourism-related revenue, totalling over €42 billion a year. Strengthening and expanding the tourism offer to increase revenue is therefore a major issue.
The tourism sector also needs to adapt to rise to the competition of other countries and benefit from the growth in global tourist flows. These are set to double in 20 years, from 980 million to 1.8 billion international tourists a year in 2030.
In this context, the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Development is seeking to strengthen France’s attractiveness and outreach.
Updated: October 2014
In this section
- France’s place in global tourism
- Infographic : France, the world’s leading tourist destination
- Infographic : France ranks 3rd for international tourism receipts
- The place of tourism in the French economy
- Statistics on tourism for 2013 (07.14)
- The first incubator in the world specializing in tourism (November 2014)
- Tourism, a major French asset
- Tourism drives the economy of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region (09.14)
- Key figures of French tourism
- Meeting of the Tourism Promotion Council devoted to the French overseas territories and river and sea cruises (22.07.15)
- Tourism – Attractiveness of France – Launch of Gault et Millau’s “small-scale food producers” app (08.07.15)
- Tourism – Signing ceremony for nine new destination contracts (25.06.15)
- Tourism - Measures supporting the growth of tourism in France (11.06.15)
- Tourism – French language – Announcement by Matthias Fekl of “Immersion France” app (09.06.15)
- Tourism – Laurent Fabius’s participation in the “Victoires du tourisme” award ceremony (03.06.15)
- France’s attractiveness – Inauguration of the Caverne du Pont d’Arc, a replica of the Chauvet cave (April 2015)
- Tourism – Appointment of Jacques Maillot as Chargé de Mission for the Development of River and Sea Cruises (03.03.15)
- Tourism – Meeting of the Tourism Promotion Council (18.02.15)
- Tourism – Foreign trade – Promotion of French gastronomy (15-20.02.15)
- Tourism – Launch of a center of excellence devoted to wine tourism in Champagne by Matthias Fekl (23.01.15)
- Tourism – Laurent Fabius’s participation in the World Hospitality and Food Service Event (24.01.15)
- Goût de France / Good France: a dinner to celebrate gastronomy worldwide (19.03.15)
- Tourism – Meeting of the Tourism Promotion Council devoted to the hotel industry, investment and specialized tourism (21.01.15)
- Attractiveness of France – Inauguration of the Philharmonie de Paris (14.01.15)
- Tourism – Gastronomy – Meeting between Mr. Laurent Fabius and the “Club de la Table Française” (14.01.15)
- The Louvre, the most visited museum in the world (01.15)
- The first incubator in the world specializing in tourism (12.14)
- Tourism – Meeting of the Tourism Promotion Council devoted to digital technology (17.12.14)
- Tourism – Ceremony to mark the signing of the destination contracts (16.12.14)
- Tourism - Tourism Promotion Council meeting devoted to gastronomy and oenology (22.10.14)
- Closure of the National Conference on Tourism (19.06.14)
- Tourism – Promotion of France in Australia (24.09.14)
- The National Conference on Tourism