Economic Diplomacy & Foreign trade
At Laurent Fabius’s initiative, the 2015 Ambassadors’ Conference will include an unprecedented event: the first “speed dating” meeting ever held in France between ambassadors and entrepreneurs.
- Focus 1: the Business and the Global Economy Directorate
- Focus 2: increased mobilization of the network abroad
- Focus 3: ministerial visits with an economic dimension
- Focus 4: promotion of French innovation
- Focus 5: attracting foreign investment to France
- Focus 6: mobilizing soft power tools
- Focus 7: visas
- Focus 8: support for expatriation
- Focus 9: better communication with businesses
- Focus 10: Ministry staff
Economic diplomacy: a policy priority to support France’s economic recovery
"The Quai d’Orsay should also be, through all its tasks, the home of businesses". Laurent Fabius, Minister of Foreign Affairs on 9 April 2013, during the closure of the “Rencontres Quai d’Orsay – Entreprises" scheme.
Economic recovery is the Government’s priority. It requires a rebalancing of the current account, and thus results on markets abroad. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has the second largest diplomatic network world wide. It can and must contribute. Economic diplomacy represents this contribution to the country’s collective effort and is thus an essential priority for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
French economic diplomacy, which is also ecological, aims to achieve three main complementary goals:
- support our companies on foreign markets;
- attract foreign investment to our country to create jobs;
- better adapt the European and international regulatory framework to our defensive and offensive economic interests.The promotion of France’s economic interests is traditionally one of the roles of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. But economic diplomacy has not always managed to adapt its goals, resources and organization to make the economic issue a policy priority. It has thus had to adapt its organization to exacerbated international competition in a context of globalization where the level of international exposure has greatly increased. Amongst its diplomatic and consular staff, it has also developed the "economic reflex".
Given the importance and urgency of restoring our economy, and in particular our current account balance, an action plan dedicated to economic diplomacy is being implemented by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in liaison with the other competent administrations.
This action plan for economic diplomacy was presented during the Conference of Ambassadors on 27 August 2012, where it was the key theme. The Minister of Foreign Affairs made public the progress of this action plan during an open day dedicated to businesses, the "Rencontres Quai d’Orsay – Entreprises", on 9 April 2013. This was the largest event ever organized by the Ministry for businesses (700 participants).
The action plan for economic diplomacy has ten focuses and as many concrete examples, translating the three aforementioned goals:
Focus 1: the Business and the Global Economy Directorate
This new Directorate was established on 1 March 2013.
Seven special representatives contribute to boosting the dynamism of economic relations with key countries: Algeria, China, India, Japan, Mexico, Russia and the United Arab Emirates.
Regional ambassadors are appointed to promote contacts between regions and their businesses on the one hand and the diplomatic network on the other.
Focus 2: increased mobilization of the network abroad
Embassy action plans must now include an increased economic aspect, specifying their goals in this field. Thirty target countries have been identified to begin with.
Economic councils are established in embassies, which bring together government departments and businesses.
International volunteers in administration will increase the effort made by chambers of commerce in ten key countries.
A new strategy is being drawn up for European and international organization tendering.
Focus 3: ministerial visits with an economic dimension
The Minister visited Colombia, Panama and Peru in February 2013 for example, as well as Central Asia in March the same year.
Focus 4: promotion of French innovation
The ties between competitiveness clusters and the network are strengthened to support their outreach on foreign markets. Ten international technical experts will be appointed within foreign "clusters" to relay the efforts made by their French counterparts.
Beyond scientific watch, the network will step up its efforts to make innovative projects by French companies better known worldwide.
Focus 5: attracting foreign investment to France
Embassies participate in efforts for prospection and promotion of foreign investment in France.
Focus 6: mobilizing soft power tools
Grants for foreign students trained in France are targeted towards high-potential countries, taking into account the disciplines which correspond to French economic interests.
The cultural network contributes to developing the "French brand".
Focus 7: visas
Visa policy is also perceived as a lever for attractiveness.
Instructions are given to promote and simplify procedures to obtain short-stay visas for certain stakeholders of bilateral relations, including businesspeople and potential investors, foreign students and tourists.
Partnerships with businesses, chambers of commerce and universities are forged in order to simplify the procedures concerning them.
Focus 8: support for expatriation
The creation of a "Grand Voyageur" passport aims to simplify administrative procedures for businesspeople.
It comes with the negotiation of additional international conventions to facilitate expatriation.
In Parallel, the Maison des français à l’étranger (Centre for French Nationals Abroad) provides French nationals with a public service to support expatriation and reintegration in France.
Focus 9: better communication with businesses
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs received businesses during an open day, the "Rencontres Quai d’Orsay – Entreprises" on 9 April 2013, the largest event ever organized by the Quai d’Orsay for businesses (700 participants).
Focus 10: Ministry staff
Training modules on economic and trade issues are being stepped up.
Candidates with economic profiles are sought after, particularly from backgrounds of academic economics and business schools.
The presence of diplomats in businesses will be encouraged and developed.
In this section
- Influential economic diplomacy and cooperation tools
- Creation of a Business and the International Economy Directorate
- The contribution of French scientific and technological networks
- The role of cultural networks in economic diplomacy
- Attracting foreign investment to France
- Why invest in France?
- Graphic : The main themes of sporting diplomacy
- France, an innovative economy... and a buoyant commercial ecosystem
- France: a haven for talent
- France: a taylored tax system
- Graphics: Attractiveness - France is in Europe's top three
- France: separating fact from fiction
- Economic diplomacy: the French Foreign Ministry’s partners
- Territorial actors and economic diplomacy
- Economic administrations
- Other French Foreign Ministry partners
- Economic diplomacy - French-Iraqi Joint Commission (01.04.15)
- Economic diplomacy – Ambassadors’ Conference – Opening of registration for #1ambassadeur1entrepreneur (29.05.15)
- OECD – Reappointment of Angel Gurria as secretary general (26.05.15)
- Foreign trade – Matthias Fekl’s participation in the 2nd Worldwide Symposium of the Foreign Trade Advisors of France (08.05.15)
- Foreign trade – Airbus – Sale of 100 Airbus A320neo Family aircraft to Avianca - Statement by Laurent Fabius (05.05.15)
- UAE and France (Vivapolis) team up to share and foster sustainable solutions for cities (27.04.15)
- Economic diplomacy - Innovation - Hello Tomorrow Challenge (09.04.15)
- Economic diplomacy - Creation of a strategic export committee by Matthias Fekl (23.03.15)
- Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) - France, Italy and Germany announce their intention to become founding members of the AIIB (17.03.15)
- Economic diplomacy – First SME international support forum (11.03.15)
- Economic diplomacy – Appointment of three new special representatives (25.02.15)
- Fighting tax havens (12.02.15)
- Laurent Fabius’s participation in the Franco-African Growth Forum (06.02.15)
- Economic diplomacy – Support for the international expansion of innovative French start-ups (04.02.15)
- Economic diplomacy – Innovation Week in Chicago (23.04.15)
- Foreign trade – New Zealand – Meeting between Matthias Fekl and his New Zealand counterpart (27.01.1515)
- Economic diplomacy – Laurent Fabius’s participation in the seminar entitled “Strengthening France’s economic presence in South-East Asia (27-28.01.15)
- Economic diplomacy – Climate – Laurent Fabius’s participation in the World Economic Forum (22.01.15)
- Attractiveness – Launch of “Expertise France” (20.01.15)
- Trade negotiations - Matthias Fekl’s visit to Berlin (21.01.15)
- Economic diplomacy – Broad participation of innovative French companies in the International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas (06-09.01.15)
- Emmanuel Macron and Axelle Lemaire to attend the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas to promote France’s digital economy (06-08.01.15)
- Directive relating to the merger between the Invest in France Agency and UBIFRANCE (22.12.14)
- Attractiveness – Launch of the 2015 “Hello Tomorrow Challenge” (15.12.14)
- Matthias Fekl’s participation in the third edition of the “International Meetings for Major Sports Events” (11.12.14)
- Attractiveness – Exhibition devoted to the France of tomorrow (04-07.12.14)
- Economic diplomacy – Matthias Fekl’s participation in the second French-Ethiopian Business Forum (17.11.14)
- Trade - WTO - Trade facilitation within the framework of the World Trade Organization – Announcement of an agreement between India and the United States (13.11.14)
- Trade policy – Transparency – Meetings between Mr. Matthias Fekl and the Strategic Follow-up Committee (28-30.10.14)
- Economic diplomacy – China – Laurent Fabius to receive Hong Kong/Europe Business Council (11.05.15)
- Foreign trade – Visit by Matthias Fekl to the International Food Show (21.10.14)
- Death of Christophe de Margerie – Statement by Laurent Fabius (21.10.14)
- Foreign trade – Informal meeting of European ministers (14-15.10.14)
- Tourism – Euro Disney (15.10.14)
- Economic diplomacy – China – Cooperation in the agri-food sector (01.03.15)
- Foreign trade – Mobilization by Laurent Fabius of the French mechanism to promote exports and the attractiveness of France (10.14)
- Foreign trade – G20 – Visit to Australia by Ms. Fleur Pellerin (17-19.07.14)
- Attractiveness - French-Korean forum on the creative economy (24.06.14)
- Transatlantic partnership – Fleur Pellerin’s meeting with civil society (20.06.14)
- Foreign investment: France reclaims its position in the top 10 most attractive countries – Statement issued by Fleur Pellerin (05.06.14)
- Speech by Laurent Fabius at the Global Summit of Women (05-07.06.14)
- Brussels G7 Summit 2014 (04-05.06.14)
- Argentina becomes 10th Member of the Group of Friends of Paragraph 47 (21.05.14)
- Aviation subcontractors flying high (April 2014)
- Attractiveness of France as a tourist destination – Visit by Mr. Laurent Fabius to Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (28.04.14)
- France is second in the world for the production of video games (04.14)
- Foreign trade (08.04.14)
- “Quai d’Orsay-Entreprises” meetings (08.04.14)
- Economic diplomacy – Interview given by Laurent Fabius to the daily newspaper Les Echos (08.04.14)
- Economic diplomacy – Tourism/Mountain industry – Signing of a partnership agreement between the Japanese group, Kashiyama Industries, and the French company, Poma (30.09.14)
- Foreign Trade – Interview given by Laurent Fabius to Aujourd’hui en France/Le Parisien (excerpts - 06.04.14)
- Laurent Fabius’s participation in the Davos World Economic Forum (24.01.14)
- Presentation of key initiatives for sport diplomacy in France (15.01.14)
- Group of Friends of Paragraph 47 welcomes Austria and Switzerland as new members
- France performs highly in the innovation field (October 2013)
- Japan/Airbus order – Statement by M. Laurent Fabius, Minister of Foreign Affairs (07.10.13)
- The first incubator in the world specializing in tourism (12.14)
- WTO – Selection process for future Director-General – Visit by Amina Mohamed and Bark Tae-ho (25.03.13)
- WTO – Process of selecting the new director-general – Visit by Anabel Gonzàlez, Minister of Foreign Trade of Costa Rica (19.03.13)
- Election of the Director-General of the International Labor Office (29.05.12)
- WTO – Process of selecting the new director-general (06.03.13)
- Economic diplomacy – Creation of the new Directorate for Businesses and Global Economy (01.03.13)