Laurent Fabius, Minister of Foreign Affairs, participated in the EU Foreign Affairs Council meeting on December 16 in Brussels. This meeting provided an opportunity to address the following issues:
- The Central African Republic: The situation in the CAR was raised on our initiative and an update was provided on the action of the member states to support MISCA [AFISM-CAR] and strengthen our humanitarian assistance for the populations;
- The Eastern Partnership – Ms. Ashton presented the results of her visit to Kiev this week;
- Iran: The High Representative reported on the results of the negotiations in Geneva;
- Syria: The ministers provided an update on preparations for the Geneva II conference, the destruction of chemical weapons and our humanitarian assistance for the populations;
- Lebanon: The member states reaffirmed their solidarity and their attachment to the country’s stability;
- Middle East peace process: An update was provided on the status of the negotiations between the parties.
The ministers also met with Sergey Lavrov, Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs, to discuss the main international issues and relations between the EU and Russia, on the eve of the EU-Russia summit scheduled to take place on January 27 and 28.
An EU-Morocco Association Council meeting also took place on the sidelines of this session.